CURLY HAIR CARE AND MAINTENANCE TIPS

4:30 PM Galmeetsglitter 0 Comments


Isn't Jennifer Lopez looking gorgeous with those well defined locks? Well, you can making your curls look like that by making few changes to your hair care routine. Want to know how?? Read on, girl...

A quick question to all the curly girls out there – how many times have you thought that you were cursed to have curls in your hair? Months back, I also thought the same. It sounded strange to me whenever I get compliments from random people about the gorgeous curls I have. I used to say a thank you with a smile on my face but my confused mind was like ‘What the heck!! How can someone call my hair beautiful??’ I am sure you all might have similar experiences at some point. I was so frustrated with my hair that I wanted to straighten it out for a smooth, silky, easy to style look.
Then came a day when my opinion about my curly, unruly hair has totally changed. I never expected that a haircut appointment will make me love my curls like never before. The hair stylist kept running her fingers through my curls and told me how gorgeous my hair is and asked me to never ever straighten my hair. She called her coworkers and told them to feel my curls. That night, I stood in front of the mirror and suddenly my messy, frizzy hair felt beautiful. Those magical words made me rethink – maybe I have a pretty hair, it is just that I am not taking good care of it.

Over the months, I studied a lot about curly hair, experimented a lot on how to handle it and make it look pretty. In this post, I am going to share some of my fav tips on how to take care of your curls. The first and foremost thing you need to remember is that every hair type is different and the hair care routine should vary accordingly. Obviously, curly hair needs more maintenance but what is more lovely than embracing your natural beauty?

  1. Curly hair craves for moisture because the natural oils produced by the scalp can’t reach the tip due its spiral and twisty shape. And, if you fail to quench its thirst for hydration, you will end up with dry, frizzy and dull hair. Choose your hair care products carefully and always go for products designed for curly hair. The products must have the words nourishing, moisturizing, revitalizing, hydrating etc. in their description.
  2.   Deep condition your hair. Don’t even dare to step out of the shower without applying a heavy hydrating conditioner. THIS IS A MUST!!!!
  3. One biggest mistake I have done in the past is to brush my hair dry. I believed that since the natural oil from scalp is not reaching my tips, brushing it daily for 5 minutes will distribute the oil throughout my hair. Omg, girls please don’t do that!!  Doing it has left me with frizzy hair all these years. Instead, try combing your hair upside down while in the shower once you apply the conditioner. This will help in detangling.
  4. Once you are out of the shower, squeeze out the excess water using a cotton t-shirt or a microfiber towel. Don’t ever towel dry. Let your hair air dry and if you are in a hurry, use your blow dryer with a diffuser. Remember – blow drying curly hair without a diffuser can be a disaster!!!
  5. The most important rule is to scrunch your hair. SRUNCH, SRUNCH AND SCRUNCH!! Scrunching your hair when it is wet gives more definition and volume to your curls and at the same time, prevents frizz!! Isn’t it wonderful?? So put your hair upside down, scrunch it off with t-shirt or your fingers.
  6.  When your hair is like 40-50% dry, apply a good leave in conditioner and then scrunch again!! Scrunching is the key here, baby!! Finally, seal it off with any oil of your choice. Coconut oil and Argan oil are my favorites.  The oil seals in the moisture and prevents your hair from becoming dry.
  7. Protect your curls while you sleep. If you are like me, who rolls all over the bed, take extra care by wrapping your hair in protective hair styles. Put your hair upside down and wrap it up in a top knot.
  8.  Last but not least, ditch your stereotypic cotton pillow and get a satin/silk pillow. Cotton pillow creates a lot of friction and you will end up with frizzy hair in the morning. I am sure you don’t want that. Silk/Satin is slippery in nature and doesn’t create friction and thereby you will be left with frizz free, gorgeous curls in the morning. If you don’t have a silk/satin pillow cover, you can even use a silk scarf to cover your hair while sleeping.
    Hope this helped you curly girl!! 


You Might Also Like

0 comments: